What is a OST file?
OST (Offline Storage Table) file stores Outlook mailbox data when
MS Outlook is not connected to the Exchange Server (offline mode). If
OST file gets corrupted, you cannot access Outlook mailbox data. Exchange
server crash, large size of OST file, malicious virus attack, Exchange
server downtime, database corruption, accidental user account deletion,
etc. are some of the reasons that may corrupt an OST file. Corrupt or
damaged OST file becomes inaccessible and you might face a severe data
disaster situation. To make corrupt OST file accessible, you need to
convert it to Outlook PST file format. PST file is Personal Storage
Table file which stores Outlook mailbox data. It is saved on your system’s
If the corruption is due to large size of OST file, then it can
be resolved by configuring a synchronization filter on your Exchange
Sever mailbox folders. This manual technique may help you reduce
the OST file size. Perform the following steps:
- Right-click the mailbox folder that you want to reduce »
click on Properties.
- The Properties dialog box appears. Click on the Synchronization
tab » Filter button.
- The Filter dialog box appears. Now choose the standard for
synchronization (set the filters you want).
- Click on OK. Now restart your MS Outlook program.
In addition, you can perform an integrity check by using SCANOST.EXE
utility which is very similar to SCANPST.EXE. The in-built utility is used
to scan corrupt OST files and to know the errors in OST files. If the scanned
OST file has errors, the Scanost.exe utility automatically resets the file
structure and rebuilds the files headers and make them reusable.
Default locations of SCANOST.EXE in different versions of MS Outlook
are as follows:
- 2013: C:\Users\ ‹username› \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
- 2010: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
- 2007: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
- 2003: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\scanost.exe
- 2002/XP: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\scanost.exe
- 2000: C:\Program Files\Common Files\SystemMAPI\NT\scanost.exe
Before using this utility, you must ensure that MS Outlook is not running
on your system. Steps to run Scanost.exe are as follows:
- Locate you SCANOST.EXE and double-click it.
- Select the corrupt OST file.
- Select the appropriate option. Check the box "Repair Errors" to
resolve the issues.
- Click on Begin Scan to start scanning of selected OST file.
- Once the file is scanned and repaired, you receive a message saying
OST repaired successfully.
Unfortunately, SCANOST.EXE is not much capable of repairing OST files.
Especially in case of severe OST file corruption, the utility fails to provide
desired results. In such situation, you need a third-party
Convert OST to PST Recovery
software that can recover corrupt OST files and capable of converting them
to PST format. Kernel for OST to PST is one such software that efficiently
repairs corrupt OST files, recovers their data, and converts them to PST
file format without making any data loss. The software is equipped with
advanced algorithms and some really high end data recovery features.
Key features of Kernel for OST to PST Software –
- Repairs and recovers corrupt, damaged, infected, lost, inaccessible
or deleted OST files in almost every condition
- Successfully recovers all emails, appointments, attachments, contacts,
journals, calendars, notes, drafts, etc. from corrupt OST files and
convert them to PST format
- Easily converts OST to PST without using original Outlook profile
- Recovers highly encrypted and password protected OST files
- Option to save recovered OST files in different formats such as
PST, MBOX, DBX, PDF, HTML, MSG, IMAP, MHTML, RTF, TXT, EML and cloud-based
- Option to export recovered OST files to various Web email apps like
AOL, Hotmail, Gmail, Live Mail, Outlook, iCloud, Company IMAP account,
Google Apps, and Yahoo
- Export recovered data to different email servers like MS Exchange
Server, Novell GroupWise, and Lotus Domino Server
- Recovers all email properties such as To, From, Subject, CC, BCC,
Date and Time
- Allows saving of email items of a particular date range by selecting
a date from date range
- Generates preview of recovered OST files so that you can check the
accuracy of data before saving
- Supports MS Exchange Server 2016 and MS Outlook 2016 along with
Windows OS 10
- Available in free trial version
Try FREE trial version –
Before purchasing the software, you can try its free trial version. Free
version converts 25 recovered OST items from every folder to PST format.
By purchasing the full version, you can save all the recovered OST files.
Click on the Download button to get the free version of the software.
Software Related Topics